Missy Gregory, Viking Woman!

Missy Gregory, Viking Woman!
Do Viking Women Run?!?

Tuesday, December 11, 2012




Here we are waiting to start the Hot Chocolate 5k. It was cold, but not unbearable. We found the location and were parked in no time at all. Very smooth considering there were about 7,000 of us.

I am super proud of my 12 year old daughter, Cassi, who ran her first 5k. She did great and came in 108th in her age group.

My friends Debbie and Cherame rocked the race and both ran the whole way!

Kristi, her daughter Madi, Hannah and I took the walk/run or run/walk approach. I came in 404th out of 470 in my age group. Nothing to brag about, but I'm happy that I was able to run part of it, didn't stop and give up when I really wanted to AND I wasn't last, which is my biggest fear.

I have to say that the little training that I did do for the Disneyland 5k really helped because I did absolutely no training this time and I could tell. It felt harder. I think part of this feeling was mental, I mean, who wouldn't want to run through Disneyland? In September I knew my way around. I knew when I was about 1/2 way done. I knew when I was close to the end. For this 5k I had no idea where I was going or where I had been and I haven't developed an internal clock to gauge the distance.

Luckily my friend Hannah was with me. She had a fancy watch on and could tell how we were doing. She was also super sweet and supportive and told me what a great job I did after each run segment. This sweetness I will accept, because it helped offset all the negative self talk that streams through my brain.

The best part about this race? Three things immediately come to mind: good friends, no blisters and chocolate and dancing at the finish line. :)

Do Viking women run? Sometimes...




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I read something the other day that has really stuck in my head. When getting ready for a race, be mentally lose and mentally strong. Running is more mental than physical. I am so proud of you! You went out there and ran and walked, but you still did it!

    ReplyDelete